Make Christmas memorable with this great recipe Mulled apple juice – A non-alcoholic alternative to mulled wine from Gaby Neantóg Kitchen Garden School
- 1l apple juice
- Strips of orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick, plus extra to garnish
- 3 cloves
- Honey or brown sugar, to taste
- Simmer the apple juice with the strips of orange peel, cinnamon stick and cloves for about 5-10 mins until all the flavours have infused. Sweeten to taste.
- Serve each drink with a little orange peel and a piece of cinnamon stick.
If you have your own home pressed or any other natural apple juice you might need no sweetener at all. Our own apple juice is just delicious as it is.
- Apples may be good for your heart. They have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Apples contain soluble fiber, which is the kind that can help lower your blood cholesterol levels. They also contain polyphenols, which have antioxidant effects.
- Cinnamon is a delightfully exotic, sweet-flavoured spice traditionally obtained from the inner brown bark of Cinnamon trees which when dried rolls into a tubular-sticks, known commercially as “quill.” Beside its delightful flavour it has antifungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
- Cloves have a sweet but spicy and peppery flavour so should be used in moderation to avoid over seasoning.
- Orange peel adds a tangy taste to foods. It is best to use organic oranges to avoid any pesticides.
Send us your photos on Facebook, if you try to make it! Use hashtag #SligoFoodTrail